Homemade Cell Benefits
Some owners do not think about under what conditions guinea pigs will live. Someone uses for these purposes an aquarium in which there is high humidity, or a cage for hamsters, where they will maintain. Therefore, it is better for him to make on his own.
You can also think through all the nuances in advance to clean.
Do-it-yourself cage for guinea pigs has several advantages:
For pigs of the age it is undesirable to make multi-level houses
When choosing a cell size, the features of the room where it will be installed are taken into account. All you need is a spacious dwelling for guinea pigs. But there are minimum requirements that are recommended to be followed.
If it was an acquired couple (boy and girl). Therefore, cell sizes should be designed for 4 or more guinea pigs.
The height of the walls should be at least 40 cm. If the animal should not be delivered to the upper walls.
Before designing, it is recommended to take into account other features:
- The house should be dry, clean and well ventilated. It is advisable that people gather in this room. Hearing human speech, animals adapt faster.
- The cage should be installed on a flat surface.
- If other pets live in the apartment, then you need to make a ceiling. It protects from other animals.
- You need to be well lit and stay away from heat sources.
- Air temperature should be 22 degrees, air humidity – 50%. A slight deviation in both directions is allowed.
- For walls, it is recommended to choose a metal grill. If it uses solid material (such as fiberboard), then it is limited to incoming air and natural light.
- The minimum distance between the grids should be 1.5 cm, width – 2.5 cm.
If you have a desire to color the rods, then you need to choose a paint that does not harm the health of guinea pigs, because they have the habit of creating different objects.
Necessary materials and step-by-step instructions
The following materials will be used in the construction of the house:
The process of creating cells for guinea pigs can be divided into several main stages.
Stage 1. Production of the base
It is recommended to start construction from the base. To do this, perform a series of actions:
- Choose the size of the base depending on the number of pets and the size of the rooms. It is recommended to do this on a single piece of corrugated cardboard.
- According to the drawings, cages for guinea pigs.
- For the sides, retreat 15 cm on each side.
- Cut stationery knife with the resulting sketch.
- Precisely cut only the top layer. So corrugated cardboard can easily exist, because it consists of several layers (dense layers and air pockets). You can not cut through them at all, but then the fold will turn out uneven.
- Bend the sides and fix with adhesive tape.
- The result should be a rectangular shallow box.
- We recommend that you completely glue it with tape. For convenience, it is better to take a wide one.
In order for reliability to better glue the outside
Stage 2. Wall Assembly
At this stage, metal grates are used:
- Cut metal grids to the desired length.
- You can use grilles 30-40 cm wide and fasten them with plastic staples. For example, if the width of the house is 80 cm, then you can take two sections of 40 cm. The height of the walls depends on the number of floors. For a one-story dwelling, a height of 30-50 cm is enough.
- Treat all sharp edges so that pets are not injured.
- Strengthen all elements at right angles with cable ties.
- Scissors cut the ends of the plastic ties.
Stage 3. Combining the box with grids
Now you need to connect the base to the construction of the gratings. They were above, below and in the center.
The cage is ready. Now you can think about how to equip a cage for guinea pigs.
Walls should not be pulled tight. Otherwise, problems may occur at the opposite end of the cell.
To maintain several guinea pigs, two-tier houses can be built. This will allow you to get off the rest area. In this case, each animal should have a house, a drinking bowl and a feeding trough.
Such houses are being built similarly to one-story ones. It is recommended to make a rug of PVC or soft fabric.
Tips from more experienced owners
Independently build a house for guinea pigs is not difficult. You should pay attention to the tips of more experienced pet owners:
- At the bottom of the house, you can install a plastic tray, which can not be gnawed. Alternatively, cut 8 mm plywood to fit the base.
- Housing should not have gaps.
- For faster adaptation of the nebulizer, it is recommended in the first weeks to cover 2-3 side walls with a dense fabric or cardboard, as guinea pigs are shy.
- If you plan to produce an entrance door and leave the house.
- In order to prevent the rodent from falling, it is necessary that the forests are covered with thin slats.
Do not pile up the house with various elements. Only basic elements are recommended:
- Feeder. Even if there is only one animal, you need to use two feeders. If there are a lot of pigs, then it is necessary to ensure a sufficient number of nursing so that they do not compete with each other.
- Drinking bowls. They should also be installed a few. Drinking bowls must be purchased. It is not recommended to purchase a device with an automated water supply. Spray will not be able to sort out.
- Houses. Each pig should have a separate house. Consider yourself safe.
- Ladders. If the house has several floors.
- Game Zone. Here you can install a maze, a hammock, put balls or wooden blocks.
Drinking bowls and feeders should be in the same area.