Guinea pigs are domesticated rodents belonging to the genus Mumps, the family Mumps. The homeland of the animals is the Peruvian Highlands. Relatives are not related to marine life. A Peruvian rodent is called a guinea pig because it makes sounds that resemble grunts. Also, representatives of the species are called Kevi or Cavey. Guinea pig breeds, being one of the best pets for children around the world, are striking in variety.
Types of guinea pigs according to the length and color of the coat
Today, breeders continue to breed more and more breeds of pigs. Getting lost in such a variety of animals is easy. To facilitate classification, all breeds are grouped into several species along the length of the coat.
- Shorthair. This group includes breeds of self, rex, teddy, cross and others.
- Longhair. Peruvian, coronet, merino, alpaca and others.
- Rosette. Abyssinian.
- Hairless. Baldwin, skinny.
- Rare. Kui, Curly, Ridgeback and others.
Woolen cover. The following types of rocks are distinguished:
- satin – with a shiny coat of saturated color;
- agouti – a color similar to that of wild rodents;
- buff – buffalo color;
- Himalayan – with dark ears, paws and a muzzle, but a light body, that is, a color like that of a Siamese cat;
- tan – coat with tan;
- Dalmatian – small dark spots on a light basis.
The above varieties of coat color can be observed for representatives of different breeds.
Each breed of guinea pigs is beautiful and interesting in its own way. We offer you to get acquainted with the names, descriptions and photos of the most original and popular breeds of rodents.
Shorthair breed kevi
The short-haired pig does not need special care, therefore it is suitable for maintenance to inexperienced breeders. The animals would be soft, smooth and shiny, tough and disheveled, even with crests. What breeds of keivi belong to shorthair?
- English. Also called American. One of the most common. Animals have a smooth coat, lying neatly away from head to back. The color of the representatives of the breed is very different, but most often the coat is monophonic. Feature of appearance – a rather large nose.
- Rex. Representatives of the breed are cute, with accessible eyes and a short, but thick and dense fur coat. Looks like a rabbit, it is any color. Most often, animals with a wild color of agouti are found. Due to its wild color, the breed got its unusual name. Usually rodents are small, but they are special, reaching large sizes.
- Abyssinian. The old breed itself, but there is the former Abyssinia, it has no relations. Where it came from is still unknown. The breed is considered smooth-haired. Usually it has a symmetrical arrangement on both sides of the body.
- Crested. Smooth-haired breed, which has an interesting feature of appearance – a rosette on the crown of the head. This outlet is formed by radially lying hairs. Crested is divided into two varieties: American and English. The fur coat is any: white, black, Himalayan, spotted.
- Teddy. The breed, characterized by coarse and dense hair, is also called Dutch. You have a variety of things: plain or spotty, black or white. Often you can even find an albino. A distinctive feature of the exterior is a very convex nose bridge.
- Ridgeback. The animals have a short and smooth coat. A fun feature of the exterior is stretching along the spine from the neck to the pelvis. Color is any. Albinos are also found, but rarely.
- Selfie Shorthair breed, characterized by a plain, evenly lying coat. Any color of wool: black, white, red, chocolate, etc.
- Satin Representatives of the breed are very beautiful, have smooth, thin, shiny, flowing wool. The surface of the coat resembles a silk fabric. The length of the hairs should be no more than 3 cm. Dyed in one-color and two-tone colors, special agouti are found.
Longhair breeds of kevi
The long-haired pig is very beautiful, but requires careful care. Her luxurious coat can become tangled and tangle. Therefore, such rodents are recommended to experienced breeders.
- Peruvian. One of the oldest long-haired breeds. The photo shows that the animals have an original appearance: their silky and flowing hair, reaching a length of 30 cm, evenly falls on the sides of the body. Color is plain and spotty. Often there are albinos.
- Sheltie. This breed is very similar to the Peruvian. The pig is also beautiful and hairy, but her hair not only falls to the sides, but also forms a mane along the spine. The shape of the coat of animals is soft and silky. Color, as in Peruvian rodents, plain or spotted. You can meet an albino.
- Texel. Representatives of this breed are not only long-haired, but also curly. Curls were lying on the back so neatly and evenly that it seemed as if a hairdresser had worked on a fur coat of a pig. The animals have a compact physique, a rounded muzzle. Any color.
- Coronet. This breed is similar to sheltie. The crest on the crown resembles a crown. The animals are fluffy, their coat is soft and pleasant to the touch. Hair flowing on the sides can reach a length of 15 cm. Any color.
- Alpaca. The representatives of the breed have shaggy and curly hair. The hairs on the head grow towards the muzzle. The coat is hard, especially on the head. You have two sockets in the sacral region. Stained low monophonic: black, red, gold. Spotted individuals are rare.
- Merino. This breed is also called royal. This pathos name is due to the unusual structural coat. The breed is obtained by crossing Rex and coronets. The animals have a thick, curly, voluminous fur coat, similar to a sheep’s. Some breeders even cut their pets in the summer. At the crown of the head, like coronets, there is a crest. Any color of wool: gray, white, chocolate, spotted.
Hairless breed pigs
Such breeds appeared as a result of mutations, but gained popularity among breeders. Naked animals are unpretentious, do not require careful care, but are rather voracious due to intense metabolism. What breeds of bald pigs exist?
- Skinny. Rodents have a funny appearance: the body is naked, and on the muzzle and legs there is a soft fluff.
- Baldwin. The animals are absolutely bald. There are even no hair follicles on the skin. Also, representatives of the breed have a specific body shape.
Rare breeds of pigs
There are original breeds of guinea pigs, which have not yet received wide distribution.
- Lunkaria. Rodents with an unusual coat. The body of animals is covered with hard, tight, long, curly locks. On the head, the hair grows towards the muzzle. Two sockets in the sacral region and one on the crown of the head stand out. Any color.
- Curly. The breed is similar to the lunar, but differs in shorter hair and shaggy.
- Swiss teddy. The breed is almost the same classic, only has a longer coat. Hair puffs, making the animals resemble a feather ball.
- Mini-yak. Amazing breed created in Australia by crossing Abyssinian and Peruvian pigs. The unusual name they got was like a coat. In different countries, the breed is called differently: in Romania – Butterfly, in Germany – Angora, in Russia – Russian Angora, in Australia – Sheba Mini-yak. The Angora breed is distinguished by a thick, long, voluminous, dense coat. On the head there is a funny tuft. The hairs reach the floor in length, do not grow further.
- Kui. The largest breed. In South America, bred for food. Giant individuals are found, reaching a length of 55 cm, weighing about 4 kg.
Varieties of coat color
Cavey’s coat colors are the most diverse and unusual.
- Agouti. This color can be in both long-haired and short-haired pigs. This is the so-called "wild" color, in which each hair is divided by color into three parts. Several agouti tones stand out: chocolate, copper, cream, yellow, golden, silver.
- Himalayan. Color reminiscent of the color of Siamese cats. There are two shades of Himalayan color and mushrooms: with black and brown spots on the face, ears, legs.
- Dalmatian. The main color of the fur coat is white, but it is complemented by dark spots. Fifth year – all coat, on the back and fighting, on the abdomen – smaller and less.
- Buff. Buffalo color. The color of the coat is specific, rich brownish yellow. This color can be monophonic, and can be combined with spots.
- Dutch. Two-tone, black-and-white or brown-white color, characteristic only for smooth-haired pigs. Head and back are dark, legs and middle of the body are light.
- Tortoiseshell. The original color, in which the fur coat is three-colored, consisted of large, clearly defined, white, red and black spots. Breeders jokingly call pigs with such a nice coat “cakes”. Tortoise color is characteristic strictly for smooth-haired rodents.
- Roan. Beautiful color, in which mainly the color of the wool is evenly interspersed with white wool. With the primary black color of the coat, the color is called blue, and with the primary red color – strawberry.
- Tan. The coat around the eyes and trousers differs in color from all other bodies.
- Brindl. This font consists of only two colors – black and red. Red and red spots should be evenly distributed over the coat.
- Tan and fox. New colors. When dancing around the eye, in the ears, muzzle, chest and abdomen, there is a black tan, while in the color of fox – a white tan in the same places.
As can be seen from the photos and descriptions, guinea pigs are cute and pretty creatures, surprising a variety of colors and shapes of their fur coats. To get a healthy and thoroughbred friend, you need to make purchases in the nursery, and not with your hands. Only in nurseries I sell purebred individuals.