In the article I will tell you how to build a house for guinea pigs. I will consider several options for making a home for a pet (complex and simple: a house, an aviary) with your own hands. I will list the varieties of designs. In order not to harm the health of guinea pigs.
DIY guinea pig house
To make a lot of effort, it will not be necessary. It is enough to have a desire and have time to create.
Before starting the manufacture of the home, clearly calculate the area. This is necessary for a comfortable pet stay. The guinea pig will be able to feel comfortable and calm in the house. One animal requires 0.7 m 2 of space in the home. Two pigs are given a space of 1m 2. For three, a little more than 1.2 m 2.
It all depends on your imagination.
Construction methods and necessary tools
Built from cardboard. Options for complex designs.
To build, you will need such tools materials:
- cardboard box;
- pencil or pen;
The dimensions of a suitable box should be no less high:
- length – 25 cm;
- width – 15 cm;
- height – 15 cm.
Parameters are for one medium sized guinea pig. If there are more boxes, that’s okay.
After neatly glued the printed edges of the box. If you want to apply cardboard paper. Cut sheets of the desired parameters and glue. All fragments are glued in the form of a rectangle.
We will serve the doors to the home. You can choose any side of the box. Hole dimensions: height – 12 cm, width – 11 cm. The pet house is ready.
For the manufacture of need plywood. The following tools are also required:
- jigsaw (electric or manual);
- curly ruler;
To connect all the details, it is better to use glue designed for wood.
You can also fasten fragments with nails. But they need to be driven in completely. Sharp ends must be driven so that the pig does not get hurt.
Getting to work
- 4 rectangles 25 cm high, 15 cm wide. Next, on the remaining place, draw 2 squares 15 cm high and wide.
- We find a place for windows and doors. We mark the areas by drawing them.
- Take a jigsaw. We cut out all the details.
- Carefully crafted places to cut plywood with sandpaper. It is necessary to get rid of the splinter so that the animal does not get hurt.
- The walls of the structure are already ready for gluing. Attach parts will help special glue for carpentry. Its consistency is strong and durable. The connection of the fragments occurs within 10 minutes. If no special glue was found, you can use simple PVA. You need to take glue for paper and mix it with the remaining plywood chips. It was formed after sawing with a jigsaw. The consistency of this glue should be thick. After it can be safely applied for carpentry purposes.
- Glue all the fragments. We wait until the glue dries. The house is ready for living. If desired, the house can be painted and add various decorations.
Drawing a complex version of the house
What other materials can you make a house from
At home, you can build for:
- cardboard paper, shoe boxes;
- metal gratings (cage). They are covered with fabric;
- flower pots;
- plastic pipes;
- designer parts;
- food plastic;
- paper bag.
Replace it with a wooden or paper one.
Wooden housing is best for guinea pigs. Such a house will last a long time. Even if the pet wants to sharpen its teeth against the walls. Cardboard and fabric houses will soon have to be replaced with new ones.
Summing up, I want to note that you need to give him time to get comfortable. You can not force the pet to be pushed first and not give free access. It is undesirable and specially to pull the pig from a new house. The animal in response to such treatment can become aggressive. Let the animal adapt to new conditions. And he will certainly thank his caress for the new apartment.