Despite the fact that guinea pigs do not have the ability to breed, many owners do not decide for a long time to operate it.
In fact, sterilization, that is, removal of the genitals, has not long been considered the implementation of procedures, and the recovery period after it is reduced to 3-4 days.
At the same time, the pet continues to live a familiar life, delight others with a good disposition and a calm character.
In most cases, the owners remain satisfied, and guinea pigs become much easier, and animals do not suffer from the inability to have offspring.
They live a calm and comfortable life next to the owner.
- There is no need to control the breeding of pets. Even with joint maintenance, the female will not be able to become pregnant.
- After sterilization, animals are less sick, increasing life expectancy.
- Mumps are related to humans, as are other animals.
- Unpleasant odors disappear during periods of estrus.
- Females do not gain excess weight with proper care and proper nutrition.
When to sterilize a female
Some branches began to sterilize females at an early age – about 4 months, but this point of view can be called into question.
Interfering with their bodies can have unpleasant consequences.
It is believed to be about 6 months old. Then the animal will better tolerate anesthesia and recover faster.
Guinea pig sterilization methods
Guinea pigs are surgically sterilized under general anesthesia. To do this, resort to several methods:
1.Ovary removal. This technique does not cause particular complications arising after surgery. There remains a risk of genital diseases.
2. Removal of the uterus and ovaries. All these pathologies of the genital organs. The operation requires very careful surgery, as the animal is small, and the extraction of internal organs is almost a jewel job.
Another variation of sterilization is also possible. tubal ligation. Unfortunately, this operation does not prevent the genitals from producing hormones. The animal does not cease to be aggressive, although it can no longer become pregnant.
Preparing the female for sterilization
Blood must undergo a series of studies, if necessary, ultrasound.
Also, the doctor may prescribe a course of vitamin C dissolved in water. This is necessary for faster recovery after sterilization.
The animal may not be allowed to keep the stomach empty (anesthesia can cause vomiting).
How to sterilize guinea pigs
- The introduction of anesthesia. The operation is performed under general anesthesia. To euthanize the animal, a drug is introduced, usually ketamineHCL with xylation. After a few minutes, the pet will be ready for surgery. The effect of the drug lasts about 1 hour.
- Placement on the operating table. Animals are placed on their backs, they remove wool at the incision site, and they carry out disinfection.
- Incisions. The surgeon makes two incisions on the left and right over 1.5 cm and removes the genitals.
- Suturing. Sutures need to be removed for 7-10 days, self-absorbable sutures are not required to be removed.
The doctor may prescribe a course of antibiotics. The whole procedure takes about 40 minutes.
Possible complications after sterilization
The risk of complications is minimal, but they are possible. Among them, the following are more common:
- infection during surgery – arises due to violation of the rules of disinfection,
- suture inflammation – regular loading is irregular processing
- seam divergence – possibly due to increased activity of the pet,
- individual reaction to anesthesia – unpredictable, rare.
Most likely, you need to pay great attention to them.
Guinea pig care after sterilization
To recover, the animal needs several days. The owner needs to carefully monitor his beloved in the first hours before and after waking up.
While the pet is sleeping, it is laid next to the heating pad to warm it.
The pet’s movements may be uncoordinated, the pig will fall.
Most likely, reduce the chance of seam infection. Litter should be changed daily 2-3 times.
It is important to maintain cleanliness and order in the cell. For its treatment, use antibacterial agents recommended by the veterinarian.
Pay particular attention to the seam. Due to the short legs of the mumps, they touch the abdomen with the floor, which puts them at risk of infection. The owner needs to regularly treat the rarefaction site with hydrogen peroxide or other means prescribed by a specialist.
If you notice that the inflammation is sensitive, it is necessary to consult a veterinarian for qualified help.
The swallowing reflex is not restored immediately. Usually for 2-3 days, switch to roughage. Instead of water, tomato juice is allowed to be given to the animal.
Changes in the behavior of guinea pigs after sterilization
After sterilization, the genitals cease to secrete hormones, which means that the desire to mate passes.
In this regard, the pet becomes calmer, does not attack a person.
For example, activity and curiosity are preserved.
Why it is worth sterilizing guinea pigs at home
Today, sterilization is carried out both in the hospital and at home.
Such an operation is considered nearby, requires a minimum of tools and medicines, and is quick and painless for a pet.
The specialists of our veterinary center bring everything they need.
Also, pet owners receive the following advantages:
- our doctors go home around the clock seven days a week),
- the doctor on site will give the necessary recommendations for caring for the pet after sterilization,
- carry back
- the owner does not wait in line
- the cost of services is available to everyone,
- The doctor needs qualified help in case of complications.
Come to the clique of the veterinary clinic, and then the operation will go smoothly!