Guinea pigs depend on their well-being and life expectancy. There is a list of foods that should not be given to guinea pigs. Pet owners should be aware of this so as not to make a fatal mistake.
What is bad for mumps
Some products are given to animals in limited quantities. They may not lead to a breakdown of the digestive system.
All vegetables should be completely excluded:
- Tomatoes Despite their nutritional value, a high content of acid (including citric, oxalic, abscisic) with daily feeding leads to irritation of the rodent’s delicate stomach. Tomatoes can be given no more than 1 time per week.
- White, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, red cabbage. There is a rich array of trace elements, but the digestive system cannot be prescribed for a large number of cabbage leaves, which can cause severe diarrhea.
- Legumes give only in the form of young sprouted stems. Causes abdomen and poisoning. Suppose a small amount of fresh green peas.
- Potatoes. The use of large amounts of starch is harmful to the animal. Potato tops are the strongest poison.
- Radish They contain harsh essential oils that can severely damage the digestive system. Therefore, you do not need to include it.
- Garlic and onions should not be eaten by animals categorically in order to avoid burns of the esophagus.
- Bell pepper is given in limited quantities. It can upset digestion. It is strictly forbidden to give bitter pepper.
List of unwanted and prohibited fruits and berries:
- Apples of acidic varieties of mumps are contraindicated.
- Lemon is absolutely contraindicated for animals, it is a strong acid.
- Orange, tangerine should be well ripened, sweet. Citrus peel for rodent is poisonous. In addition, mumps may have individual intolerance.
- Pears choose hard varieties to avoid diarrhea.
- Banana is bad for causing obesity.
- Melons (watermelon, melon) contain many harmful sugars and weaken the stomach. Their use is limited.
- Stone fruits (plum, peach, apricot, cherry) are too sweet and disrupt digestion.
Dried fruits are not included in the list of prohibited products. However, they must be prepared without the use of preservatives. To not get sick with diabetes.
Unlike hamsters, guinea pigs do not need animal origin. Their digestive system can only digest plant foods. You can’t offer them milk, cottage cheese, butter, meat, eggs, fish. They do not eat.
The choice of grass and hay should be approached carefully. It is enough for the animal to eat a small amount of a poisonous plant in order to be poisoned.
Toxic herbs include: celandine, datura, spurge, lily of the valley, poppy, hemlock, mustard, marsh marigold, digitalis, marsh rosemary, night blindness, hellebore, buttercups, wrestler, liveliness. It is necessary to limit St. John’s wort, milk thistle, coltsfoot, dandelion, wormwood.
The animal can not eat spicy herbs, for example, mint, thyme, sage, basil.
When in doubt, we do not provide services.
Indoor flowers in overwhelming high poisonous. Such common plants as aloe, monstera, Kalanchoe, cyclamen, ivy, dieffenbachia, philodendron, spathiphyllum, violet should not be in the animal’s access area.
If you do not try to try indoor plants. Situations are different, so flower pots should be lifted from the floor.
What you can not drink guinea pig
As a rule, this: a pig drinks only ordinary water. It should always be. Kefir, milk, coffee, tea, juice drinks, compotes, soda, alcohol to the animal are contraindicated.
This can be very dangerous – the death of an animal.
What other pig products are contraindicated
Guinea pigs can be fatal to a delicate organism.
Products in very small quantities:
- seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, dill, sesame seeds).
Sweets can not be given to a rodent categorically. Sweets, chocolates, marshmallows, halva are heavy foods that lead to poisoning. Even the smallest amount of chocolate affects the body as the strongest poison.
Do not try your luck and give the animal exotic fruits. Cookies, boiled cereals, soups and borscht. The digestive system of these products does not meet the requirements.