Guinea pig (Latin: Savia rorcellus) is a domesticated mammal rodent belonging to the genus Mumps and the family Mumps. Even despite its original name, it is not related to pigs or marine life.
Domestication of guinea pigs occurred in the fifth millennium.. Such animals were actively used in modern South Korea, Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia. It is generally accepted that they were looking for warmth and protection in the human home.
For a long time these were animal sacrifices, therefore sacrifices were sacrificed to the sun god. Particularly popular were animals with a motley brown or pure white color. The ancestor of modern domesticated guinea pigs was Savia, the Tsudi region, which is located in the southern regions of Chile, in places located at an altitude of not more than 4.2 thousand meters above sea level.
It is interesting! Mammals of this species unite in fairly spacious underground burrows.
These monstrously differ from the currently known domestic guinea pigs, which are determined by the feed base, poor water and rich cellulose compounds.
Guinea pig description
In accordance with zoological systematics, guinea pigs (Savis cobayy) are pronounced family specimens and have a characteristic appearance, as well as a special structure.
Guinea pigs are believed to be the most common domesticated animals. However, a number of notable differences are known:
- guinea pig has a pronounced body shape, usually within 20-22 cm, but some sexually mature individuals may be slightly longer;
- the animal’s spine is represented by seven cervical, twelve thoracic, six lumbar, four sacral and seven caudal vertebrae;
- near the sea, mumps, like such an animal, are almost completely devoid of key;
- guinea pigs can vary between 0.7-1.8 kg;
- guinea pigs have very short legs than the hind legs;
- miniature hooves are located on forepaws;
- the coat of guinea pig grows at an average rate of 0.2-0.5 cm in one week;
- the sacral region consists of iron and skin folds near the genitals and anal openings having a paranal gland with a specific secret;
- the head of the adult sea is big enough
- the average growth rate of processes is approximately half a millimeter per week;
- Guinea pigs – this is the ability to move freely, regardless of direction;
- the total length of the intestine significantly exceeds the size of the body, so the digestion process can be delayed for a week.
Coloring, structural parameters and length of the coat can be very different. There are very long, wavy or straight hairs.
Character and lifestyle
Under natural conditions, wild guinea pigs prefer to be most active in the morning or immediately after evening dusk. I can run fast and try to always be on my guard. It is possible not only in the mountains, but also in forest areas. Guinea pigs are not redheads, but tear off preferences for arranging a nest in a quiet and secluded place. Dry grass is used to create safe and secure shelters.
It is interesting! Domesticated guinea pigs are widespread not only as pets, but also bred in various research institutes.
An animal to a very large extent, among its relatives. It is typical for each pack or family to recover from ten to twenty thousand females. At home, guinea pigs are located in ordinary cages with enough space for walking, due to the activity of the animal. Pets may not be blindfolded.
How much does a guinea pig live
The average life expectancy, as a rule, does not exceed seven years, and compliance with the rules and the regime of competent nutrition may well live about a fifteenth year.
Guinea pig breeds
Guinea pigs are very popular pets.
- Alpaca breed is dense and beautiful, curly and long hair. Mumps have two sockets on the back. The vegetation is still ahead of the wool in the muzzle, forming sideburns, and the limbs are covered with wool strictly from the bottom up;
- Texel has a very beautiful and curly coat, which looks a bit like a wet perm. Thanks to a very unusual and attractive hairline, the Texel breed is one of the most popular in many countries;
- gestures with wool with sockets in the form of fairly long hairs. Mumps of this breed are incredibly mobile and have the character of canceled appetite;
- Merino breed has long and curly hair, as well as unique, well-developed cheeks and sideburns. Short head, as well as a sturdy and compact physique. On the pig’s head there is a symmetrical and markedly raised “Crown”;
- Peruvian breed has a long and beautiful coat. Special papillots that prevent excessive contamination of long hair;
- Rex breed is among the short-haired, therefore, the fur is characterized by an unusual structural structure of hairs. The coat is stiffer;
- The crown in some countries is called “Crested” or “Wearing a crown”, which is explained by the presence of a special outlet between the ears. The breed is characterized by the presence of long hair throughout the body. The progenitors of Cornet became the Sheltie and Crested breeds;
- Shelters are long and straight, very silky hair, as well as the presence of a pig’s back. Shorthair animals from birth receive their full coat only by the age of six months.
It is interesting! Baldwin guinea pigs look very exotic and unusual, having soft and supple skin, absolutely naked skin, a few subtle and not too long hairs.
The bird is one of the most popular and sought after among short-haired domestic guinea pigs. The presence of a solid color in a very diverse color variations makes unique even the tiniest movements of the animal.
Guinea pig content
During the first few days after purchase, due to the standard adaptation of the pet. The animal is very shy, has a poor appetite and sits for a long time, frozen in one place. In order to facilitate the occurrence of periodic adaptation, it is imperative to create an absolutely calm and friendly atmosphere.
By their nature, guinea pigs are shy animals that are difficult to respond to any changes in the environment or sounds too loud. To keep them you can use a terrarium or a cage with a pallet, but the second option is preferable. The cage houses a house for sleeping or relaxing, as well as game attributes, feeders and drinking bowls. Dimensions are selected taking into account the size of the animal.
A pet should be not only from drafts, but also from other people. Water procedures are carried out as necessary, and the coat is combed weekly. You can trim non-standard claws in a natural way.
It will also be interesting:
Increased attention requires animals to be young. Long-haired pets should be accustomed to the daily process of combing, as well as wind the hair on special papillots. Smooth and wire-haired pigs should be trimmed periodically.
Guinea pig diet
Under natural conditions, guinea pigs live, feed on roots and seeds of plants, foliage, fallen trees or shrubs, berries and fruits. The normal state of the body is the normal state of the digestive tract and allows the animal to grind its teeth. Due to the special structure of the digestive system, such pets eat food quite often, but in relatively small portions.
Important! Veterinarians recommend using ready-made feed.
Different juicy foods, which can be represented by apples, lettuce, carrots and other vegetable crops, are very different in the diet. Sweet fruits, fruits and berries. For effective tooth stretching, animals are given apple or cherry twigs, celery root or dandelion. In the pig’s cage, it is necessary to install in clean and fresh water.
It is important to remember that marine animals should be excluded from the diet of such a pet. In addition, adult animals do not absorb lactose, so supplementing the diet of such a pet with milk can cause digestive disorders. Severe illness can be caused by serious illness.
Health, Disease, and Prevention
The owner of the guinea pigs associated with the pathology represented by:
- worms and external parasites;
- alopecia or hair loss in the wrong diet, stressful situations, lack of vitamins or minerals, the presence of parasites;
- injuries and fractures;
- rickets with a lack of sunlight or vitamin components;
- colds in the form of acute respiratory infections, pneumonia, otitis media or cystitis, which are the result of hypothermia;
- anomalies of the dental incisors;
- disturbances in the functioning of the digestive system, accompanying absent diarrhea, constipation, enteritis and flatulence;
- keratitis and conjunctivitis that occur under the influence of infectious, chemical and mechanical irritants.
An unbalanced diet or excessive feed intake can provoke the rapid development of severe obesity in a pet.
Breeding and offspring
It is best for the first time to mate guinea pigs at the age of six months. The period of time is sixteen days, but fertilization is possible only after eight hours, after which pregnancy will occur.
A week before the onset of labor, the female’s pelvic part expands. In fact, there are only two cases. Newborn guinea pigs are well developed and able to move independently. Most often, it feeds its offspring no longer than two months.
Buying guinea pig
Show-class animals fully comply with the breed standard and participate in exhibition shows, and bic-classes participate in the exploration and conduct of the so-called “backbone” of any nursery. Such guinea pigs are quite expensive. The most affordable pets are pet class.
The cost of the animal depends on many parameters, including quality, color characteristics and origin. Shipping cost plus the cost of transportation to the acquirer, which can be 13-15 thousand rubles or even higher. In any case, the sounds should be absolutely healthy, well-fed and active, with clean eyes and nose, as well as with similar hair without scratches or bald spots.
Of course, the cost of a purebred rare mumps is not always available to the average buyer.
It is interesting! In our country, a high level has not yet been achieved, but now connoisseurs of ornamental plants are striving to acquire pets that have an original and exotic appearance.
Experienced owners are categorically against crossing representatives represented by both long-haired and short-haired breeds, and all obtained as a result of the study, will be categorized as low-quality mixed breeds that do not take part in exhibition shows. Among other things, the inadmissibility of mating representatives of mottled breeds is due to inhibition of the development of breed qualities.
In any case, the guinea pig rightfully belongs to the best pets. This approach should not leave the house and keep it in sufficient quantity, so it is ideal for home maintenance, even in families with children.