Skinny – in translation from English means "leathery". In this case, it was not wool. Such animals are not too common, but may be of interest to all lovers of rare and non-standard pets.
Description of the bald guinea pig
A feature of the skin is the absence of coat (similar to the well-known pedigree cat, they are often called "sphinxes"). The skin is covered with delicate, almost invisible wool, which makes it seem velor. A small amount of real hair is only on the nose and legs of the animal.
These backs appeared as a result of a spontaneous genetic mutation in 1978 at the Armand Frapier Institute in Montreal. In a colony of laboratory guinea pigs, they began to lose their coat as they mature. To note the special significance, to teach, they made a decision.
Appearance and character
- the body length of the male is 30–35 cm, the females are about 30 cm;
- height at withers – 58–68 mm;
- weight – 1.5 kg; individual individuals can reach 1.8–1.9 kg;
- color – depends on the breed, which were the ancestors of the skin, and can be solid (chocolate, gray, sand, pink) and tortie (with possible spots of black, gray, white);
- the nose is covered with hairs up to 0.5–0.8 cm long;
- large eyes can be red, ruby, brown, black;
- the head is large, standard in shape;
- the body can be covered with folds, including around the legs and neck;
- round-shaped ears hanging;
- The character is friendly.
How many live at home
Skinny live from 5 to 8 years. The air temperature in the room should not be lower than 24–26 ° C. For ordinary pigs, this figure is 18–24 ° C. It is also necessary that the high-calorie diet corresponds to the optimal body temperature. These factors actively influence the life span of a pet.
How to choose a guinea pig
Since the skin is a rare species, it costs more than an ordinary guinea pig. The price range ranges from 19–38 dollars per individual. The price is for specification purposes only. Get pets in proven nurseries, this will protect you from buying an unhealthy animal.
Wool indicates her health. If it is smooth, shiny, without bald spots and signs of parasites, then the future pet is healthy. All other signs of health are needed:
- the animal must be mobile and active;
- body moderately well-fed;
- feet are necessarily dry;
- eyes are clear, without discharge;
- lack of discharge from the nose;
- there is no direct skin cover and inflammation;
- the area around the anus is clear, with no recent bowel movements.
Choice and home improvement
To keep a pet, it is advisable to purchase a plastic or metal cage. Cell size – not less than 0.5 square meters. m for 1 individual. The cells must be solid so as not to damage the legs when moving. Sawdust is laid on the floor with a layer of 1-1.5 cm, which are regularly changed. A drinker and feeder are installed inside, as well as items for games and recreation.
Cage or aquarium
Aquarium is an almost enclosed space. Air temperature rises and gas exchange deteriorates. The aquarium is that the pig constantly lives at elevated air temperatures. This is bad for the health of the pet. This means that there should be no odors in the aquarium after cleaning and the need for warm skin is satisfied – it should be 4 ° C higher than for representatives of woolen breeds.
With cell maintenance, you need to learn that the cell must be spacious, not traumatic and easy to maintain. A 2 kg pig is unlikely to climb anywhere. An important length – it should not be less than 100 cm, because the pet needs a place for jogging.
You can find on sale very attractive cell options, or buy a long cage and re-arrange it with ordinary pets. In the cell must be:
- drinking bowl;
- feeding trough.
The floor is sprinkled with sawdust. Natural needs can be changed as needed. In large cages, a pig for a toilet can take a corner or several. Regular litter replacement.
In the side of the cage, you need to build a "house" – a fenced area with a roof:
- height – not less than 8 cm (animal height – about 7 cm);
- width – the width of the cell;
- length – about 16–20 cm.
The house must have an entrance. In order not to contaminate the water with sawdust. The feeder is determined in the side niches of the cell or in the elevation in the corner.
To not have to stay in a cage. It is better to install it in a cage 1-2 times a week for the whole day. This reduced your sand and cage costs.
Loners or need a couple
Pig contains both together and one at a time. Among the opinions on the forums, one can easily find arguments for and against the content of several pigs. They argue their point of view by the fact that:
- a pair of a boy and a girl is a frequent birth with a female and the need to put offspring somewhere;
- a pair of two boys can often fight;
- livability depends on the individual characters of each individual.
Dormitory supporters often say that a pet needs to communicate with others like themselves. There is no scientific evidence for this fact, but it is worth studying that in the wild, pigs live in flocks in 5-10 special places, of course, intersect in one territory.
It depends on your personal preferences.
Care and maintenance
There are not many specific care requirements:
- pets need clean water;
- nutrition should include hay, root crops, green feed and cereals;
- solid feeds are necessary – twigs, they help grind constantly growing teeth;
- if you notice signs of drying out and peeling;
- if they do not have time to grow cells, they need to be trimmed.
Bathing and skin care
Pigs are not recommended for swimming, despite their name. If the skin of the rodent is somehow contaminated, then it is wiped with a damp cloth.
No need to get by.
- a pig cannot be placed under running water;
- water temperature – not higher than 30 ° С;
- an animal;
- Champagne does not radiate on the surface of the water, but dissolves in a contaminated area.
If you notice signs of dermatitis – irritation and redness of the skin, swelling – you should immediately consult a doctor to clarify the diagnosis and prescribe treatment.
Care for claws, teeth, ears
The teeth of a rodent grow constantly. Try to give different twigs, hay, nuts for grinding your teeth. For diseases of the oral cavity – irregular shape or inclination of the tooth (malocclusion). It is easy to notice such a pathology.
Claws should grind naturally; if this does not happen, they are carefully trimmed 1 time in 3 months. If you are not sure that everything is correct, then you can perform the correct trimming and only then will you do it yourself.
The ears are wiped with a cotton swab to prevent the formation of traffic jams. If you have pork legs in your ears, then the pet has begun to scratch your ears – this may be a sign of an ear tick. In this case, you will need to treat it from parasites.
Cell harvesting is carried out weekly at least 1 time, replacing the litter. It is also necessary to carry out disinfection together with cleaning for the prevention of diseases. The cell is wiped using a disinfectant solution – Disinbac or another drug. The inventory is washed with us and carried out by Cyprus.
Food and water
Pig nutrition is high-quality hay, grain, juicy coma. All day long. Grain or dry food – no more than 1-2 tablespoons per day. The presence of succulent feed (apple, carrot, salad, etc.) – as it is eaten. It is not known that vegetables and fruits begin to deteriorate, creating an environment for the reproduction of bacteria and attract insects.
The norm of water is 250 ml per day. For a pregnant or lactating female, the rate of water increases. Water is changed in accordance with living conditions. Vitamin supplements or medicines are also added to the water if prophylaxis is carried out; In this case, the water quickly drank.
To grind teeth, the pet is given small young twigs. You can also offer skinny root celery, dandelion or other useful herbs.
So, the content of guinea pigs-sphinxes is not too complicated and does not require special skills. In addition, they have excellent immunity. Skin and disease resistance is an advantage and an important advantage when choosing a pet.