Guinea pigs have long been popular as pets. Their lifespan is discussed in this article.
How old are they?
Guinea pig children quickly grow and gain weight, about a clear week the baby can be taken in the house. Already at 5 weeks of age, pets can weigh 500 g, growth is approximately 19 cm. Actively grows and gains weight up to 15 months, growing to 25–29 cm. It is believed that up to four years of age.
How many live at home (in captivity)
The life expectancy of the future ward is important. No parent would like to cause psychological trauma to their child, and the death of a pet can provoke it.
On average, subject to all conditions of care and maintenance, Guinea pigs live 6–8 years.
Under ideal conditions, the rodent can live 10 and 12 years. The Guinness Book of Records recorded a case of longevity of 15 years, but you should not focus on records. It is better to pay attention to the breed of life, as well as to other factors.
What affects the life expectancy of guinea pigs
Consider the factors affecting the life of the wards.
- hairless skinny and baldwin – from 5 to 8 years;
- Abyssinian – up to 6 years old;
- smooth-haired – up to 8 years old;
- royal rex – up to 7 years;
- longhair – up to 7–8 years old.
- spacious cage;
- lack of drafts;
- compliance with the temperature regime (17–22 ° C);
- toys for physical activity;
- cleanliness in the home;
- hygiene procedures.
- high-quality food for rodents;
- the presence of dry and juicy feed;
- supplements of vitamins and minerals;
- the presence of clean and fresh water.
How to find out the age of guinea pigs
Confess to the honesty of the breeder from whom the ward is acquired.
Pay attention to the following factors:
- activity – young growth shows interest in literally everything;
- sizes – average growth indicators of adults stand out 27–29 cm, weight – 700–1000 g (female), 1000–1800 g (male);
- wool condition – clean skin without signs of combing and shiny, soft, lump-free coat
- teeth – young animals have snow-white teeth, sharp, even, they can gnaw large and hard pieces of food;
- claws – here, attention is paid to the inspection of the hind legs: in young individuals, they may be curved and dull.
How much can you leave
There are situations when it is impossible to take a pet with you. Questions arise: is it possible to leave it without water and food. Let’s get it right.
The animal receives enough moisture and may well do without water. According to veterinarians, water should always be present. As for succulent feeds – they must be fresh.
The digestive system in guinea pigs is designed in such a way that:
- firstly, food, laying layers;
- secondly, it is not digested immediately, but for long hours;
- thirdly, animals do not have peristalsis, that is, there is a natural movement of food to the exit channel.
For this reason, everything should be in order. Starvation is contraindicated for these animals.
In conclusion: the life span of your pet depends on your willingness to care for him, not to kill him, to ensure proper healthy nutrition, as well as active pastime.