Interesting: pieces of guinea pigs or showing a strict peaceful disposition. In many respects, it depends on individual specific factors.
So does a guinea pig bite or not? What explains aggressive behavior? Answers to these and other popular questions can be found in our article.
The main causes of bites
Guinea pigs living in close contact with humans lack causeless aggression. Fluffy rodents are characterized by good nature and peace, corresponding to years of painstaking breeding.
IMPORTANT! For Cui guinea pigs raised for tasty meat, aggressiveness is the norm. This behavior is explained by fear of people embedded in genes.
She always bites
The owners note the playfulness and sociability of small animals, but you can not do without bites. You can find out why a guinea pig bites.
Actions can be explained by the psyche or behavioral characteristics:
- getting used to a new place;
- negative experience with the previous owner;
- pleasant aroma emanating from the hands and resembling a delicious treat;
- reaction to someone else cannot hold the animal in his arms;
- arms or legs that are on the way and perceived as an obstacle or an enemy (especially when fighting with relatives);
- display of tenderness (with the help of a gentle painless nibble, the animal tries to express love and affection).
Invasion of Personal Space
If you have important problems (sleep, meal, hygiene procedures), then the bite will not take long.
Do not try to squeeze the animal in an embrace against his will, respect his affairs and avoid unexpected intrusions into his house.
Discomfort or pain
Excessive pressure on the body and scratching of the restricted areas will be suppressed. Try not to hurt the pet and remember the touches that give it pleasure.
If you feel unwell, any external stimulus will run into aggression. This is also equivalent for pregnant females close to their relatives, and medical manipulations carried out during the treatment of the sick.
You must be assigned to animals during the examination.
The scope of a possible tragedy and first aid
As a rule, the risk of developing guinea pig infection:
- toxoplasmosis. The probability of parasite transmission is minimal, since the main carriers of toxoplasma are cats;
- pneumonia. Dutch scientists have proven the possibility of transmission of bacteria from guinea pigs with conjunctivitis. In 3 subjects who were diagnosed with severe pneumonia, but a small number of cases.
- felinosis. In this case, you cannot write off the accounts. The disease often affects young children and adolescents, but not dangerously severe consequences and applies to the lungs;
- rabies. Small rodents rarely pose a real threat, so checking for virus infection is only required if the pet has recently appeared in the house or in contact with another animal.
If the pet’s health is not in doubt, then you can not be afraid of the consequences of a bite.
If she is not sick, then her bite is not dangerous
Thanks to the long front incisors, the bite of the animal can be very painful. The strength of the bite depends on the reasons that prompted the aggressive actions. If you survive a strong fear, then you will force you to defend your life. In this case, it is required:
- rinse the wound;
- treat the damaged area with an antiseptic;
- consult a doctor as necessary (the child looks unwell or has recently appeared in the family) to exclude the possibility of infection or to find out what to do when it is confirmed.
Accurate manners training
After all, an animal always has a good reason. Never use brute force against a small pet. Physical punishment does not provoke a positive effect, will turn into isolation, cowardice and increased aggression.
If you are trying to caress her, be sure to return her to the cage and be careful at the next contact. Try to find a place for scratching (tummy, withers), which gives the pet pleasure, and be sure to encourage goodies with friendly behavior, increasing the duration of contacts.
These are all unpleasant hygiene procedures carried out with babies. To minimize stressful situations, try:
- do not impose contact with a clear refusal by the rodent;
- exclude sources of loud sounds;
- Do not disturb the animal during the adaptation period.
Training guinea pigs is not easy, but possible. You can achieve good results:
- Adapt your finger to the cage and quickly kill it with any attempt at aggression from the side of the pet, a fairy tale "no." Change your usual tone to solid, but do not raise your voice.
- Treat the animal a treat. 1 action, demonstrate a treat, but keep it with you.
- Follow recommended actions daily until a positive result is obtained.
Guinea pig will not bite if the owner learns to understand it
Owners of guinea pigs should remember that, unlike other pets, mushrooms are limited in the means of transmitting moods and emotions. Closely monitor the behavior of a small pet and learn to interpret its signs.
Remember that if, after a bite, an animal bleeds, then the likelihood of infection will not hurt.